Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Gone And Forgotten

For the living know that they will die;
But the dead know nothing,
And they have no more reward,
For the memory of them is forgotten.  Ecclesiastes 9:5

Some go to the graveyard to remember the dead, others visit museums, or view monuments and paintings. But as for me, I like to go to auctions to remember the dead. Estate auctions showcase the life of a person after the relatives have come and taken away what they want, sometimes referred to as, "the good stuff" by those who try to make a living by running estate auctions. In the fairgrounds building, the former possessions of the dearly departed speak volumes about what that person sought in life. Yes, with the good stuff taken by the heirs there are indeed volumes missing from the story. What the story speaks to me though is that I don't know this person. The auction may tell more than the tombstone, but the person is departed and cannot speak to me in person. 

Another story they tell me is of the one our Lord Jesus mentioned, do not store up treasures on earth. Today our Lord might change the moths and rust bit to an estate auction, for that is where a crowd gathers after the departure to purchase, often quite cheaply, the lifetime gatherings of the dead. The stuff didn't go with them. It will not speak for them in the final judgment. Soon even the true junk of the sale will be hauled off by the winners, sometimes to be seen again at another estate auction a short time later. As with those under the tombstones, they too will soon be gone and forgotten. 

It sounds so sad, but only if your one hope is to be memorialized on a doomed planet! Praise God we have  a Savior, and it is my Lord Jesus who remembers me and you. No monument is needed here on this earth, and the vultures are invited to my estate auction should it come to pass. Along with you my beloved follower of Christ, I want to be where my Savior is! 

In Christ the Lord,

Bucky

No comments: