Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Where Did My Faith Come From?

We have a wonderful rain going on today and I believe it will continue. Why do I believe this? I have a certain amount of experience with the weather, meteorologists and our modern weather radar. That isn't faith, for faith is defined in Hebrews 11:1 as the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. Extrapolation from former experiences does not count as faith as it is evidence of things that I have seen. What about Jesus?

I have never seen Jesus as He lived and died and lived again long before I was born into this world. What causes me to believe in Him? Faith. Yet, where did this faith come from? I can generate a guess or an estimate based on experience and knowledge, but faith is neither of those things. I believe the substance of Him whom I hope for rests in Heaven at the right hand of God the Father. How can I know this? I have no evidence of His person that I can see, yet there does seem to be a substance to my hope in Christ. Before I came to believe in Him, there seemed to be no substance or evidence at all. What changed?

Jesus changed me. And it is from Him where my faith comes. I can't generate faith; I can only use what He has given to me. Faith does not count to the world because it cannot be quantified or observed. Yet, since coming to believe in Him, I have seen evidence and substance of His work both in me and in my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Great and mighty is the name of Jesus my Lord!

Bucky

No comments: