Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Ready to Check Out

An older fellow comes into our office now and then, sometimes twice a day, stares off into the distance and tells of how he is getting ready to check out. I think he means to check out of this life, but it may be that he is just out of coffee and ready to leave. One can never quite tell with old men. If he expires in our chair, I'll just roll him out by the street. Hopefully someone will come and pick up his carcass before he gets smelly. The chair is a write-off either way.

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:6-7

Paul knew when his time was up; the Roman executioner may have been one clue. However, for most of us the time of our checking out may be a mystery. And for that I am grateful. A date circled on my calendar would be rather depressing. Sort of like the worst possible doctor's appointment left there to cause dread and despair as the date draws ever closer. Most mysteries cause me to wear myself out trying to solve them, but this one big mystery I am content to leave with God. Some burdens are too large for me to bear, but my Lord is more than capable.

If I haven't brought you down too much, have a great day!

Bucky

No comments: