Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Down With Doubt!

“For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says." Mark 11:23

Jesus said it. We claim to believe in Him. What seems to be the weakness that prevents our mountain-moving faith? Of course we know the answer is given right there by Jesus in His statement. We doubt. Well, down with doubt! As of now I will hate the thing that prevents me from having all that my Lord said I could have in this life. Down with doubt!

Will I now have those riches I wish for? A life of ease and comfort without a single storm cloud of health crises on the horizon of my idyll? My wishes seem kind of self-centered in this new faith, like it's all about me. What if that mountain I need to move is in the helping of another person and won't accrue any monetary gain to me at all? Would I still throw down doubt and believe with my whole heart? If my sudden wealth would destroy every relationship that I now have, would I still throw down doubt and speak my wealth into being only to benefit me?

God's way is shown once again to be the best way. We are disciples learning to set aside doubt and think of others before ourselves. We don't gain this mountain-moving power of faith without learning some of God's wisdom, goodness, and love. Imagine a revival in town last night causing dozens of new believers to go out rearranging God's geography this morning. Might make it a little tough for everyone else to get to work. Could be a little difficult for those Pacific fishing fleets headed out of Puget Sound when some Colorado mountains start splashing down in front of them.

Thank you, dear Lord, for teaching love, goodness, peace, and patience before we start moving the big chunks of earth about in our ever-growing faith in You.

Bucky

No comments: