Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Command Seems Wrong

“Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to what I command you." Genesis 27:8

I was so grateful for his purchase of my breakfast this morning that I took Mike's truck and left him downtown. That'll teach him to leave his keys in there! Of course it was at his command that I did this thing, so what seems like ingratitude is in fact obedience.

In a similar way, things that seem wrong to the world in our ways and behavior may in fact be obedience to our Lord. For example a person need only watch a few movies to realize that vengeance is the world's way for those who have been wronged. Get 'em back, get even, or execute the law's penalties by your own hand, whatever it takes to gain satisfaction is the message of our world. Jesus told us to love our enemies and do good to those who hate us, even to pray for those who spitefully use and persecute us. How different can you get? Obedience to the Lord may leave us looking very much like what the world calls a doormat - stepped on, stomped on, and full of mud. I guess it is no wonder that my family in Christ seems so at odds with this world we live in.

Have peace in Jesus,
Bucky

No comments: