Thursday, March 30, 2017

Get Your Head Out Of The Bible

Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you;
Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you. Proverbs 9:8

A response appeared in our paper this week that included the line, "Get your head out of the Bible" and I just couldn't let that go. Like it or not, when we speak out for Christ we will run into the scoffers. It may be subtle or very overt but the hatred for God's Word will show through, and you or I will be on the pointy end of it. We will want to gird up our loins with the Gospel because comfort will be needed when the weapons of the enemy begin firing in our direction. Get my head out of the Bible? I'm sorry, but no, my head very much wants to be in the Bible.

It is revealing to us that one line sounds so very much like another today. Usually it goes, "Get your head out of your [rear end, posterior parts, etc.]." The world it seems today would equate one with the other. The hatred for God's Word is strong in the powers and principalities of this present darkness. We will feel the shots strike our shield of faith, but keep it up there, Christian, don't let that shield drop!

When it comes to political opinions, I may be right or I may be wrong, but I want to keep my head in the Bible and speak from there. God's Word has become precious to me. Advice from the scoffers? Much less than before Jesus saved me. We will want to pray for the one who spitefully uses us in the public forum. Yes, it hurts when our faith is strongly rejected and our names put on a sign for all to read, but comfort comes from the Word of God.

“Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

Bucky

No comments: