Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Pinball Without His Wizard

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:13-14

The narrow way, it is even the section title in my study Bible, but Jesus didn't say, 'narrow way'. He did say the gate is narrow. What we do get is a difficult way.

Often I have wondered as I bounce from difficulty to difficulty like a pinball without his wizard, why I have so much straying room if the way is narrow. Alas, I was only promised a difficult way if I ever found the narrow gate. Partly that is a relief to me, for how are we to walk the way together, brother and sister in Christ, if it is so narrow? On the other hand, I would appreciate some guard rails along this way, for my tendency to stray is great. How else though will a fallen sinner be sanctified for his Christ than by enduring the flames of tribulation and bouncing into the pains of difficulty?

Along this difficult way, we roll into the pains of life, and not all that I have suffered are the same that you have suffered. While the way may not be broad like the one leading to destruction, the way has enough width that we do at times roll along together. Of course there is always space enough for our Lord and Savior to walk with us.

Have a happy Saturday!
Bucky

No comments: