Monday, November 17, 2014

What Offends You Today?

Ach, sorry! It's Monday once again. What offends you today? You may choose from a plethora of things and people on both social and mainstream media. You may choose from any number of people who it seems are celebrities simply for becoming famous. It seems that today no useful occupation is necessary for some. They become famous and celebrated through their appearance, what they have done to their appearance, or just for showing up somewhere. That offends me. Maybe I'll work up an anti-famous person website. Hmm, probably too late for most of the current crop of ding-dongs out there on the web. Wait, that offends me even more!

We have fan sites for some to worship their idol, but then we have anti or hate sites for people who are offended to heap abuse on the person. The fan sites usually outnumber the hate sites, so I guess that is good in a way. But wait! I'm offended by celebrity idols too. Oh no, I just realized that I have offended the fans of Hostess® Ding Dongs! Agh, I cannot be offended without offending someone else! The funny thing is that I can offend someone just by writing this or being who Christ has made me.

We cannot worry constantly over who we will offend. We believe in Jesus, someone in the world will be offended. When Jesus began His ministry, the scribes and Pharisees rose up in offense. When Paul went to Greece, some scholars were offended. Speak the good news of Jesus Christ and we will meet with offended people. In fact, there are entire organizations dedicated to being offended by the spreading of the Gospel. Pray in public and you become an offense to some. Sing a hymn near a school and the atheists are offended. Which is funny-strange in that having no mention of God or religion in school is atheistic; yet, we are not supposed to get offended by that. Could it be, I've discovered the double standard of offensive behavior? Nah, you already knew that.

Have a great week in Christ Jesus!
Bucky

No comments: