Tuesday, November 25, 2014

So Then You Get to be The Subject of a Devotional

Frosty morning to you on this great day! A conflict of scheduling, a breakdown in communications, or something just doesn't work out between us, so then you get to be the subject of a devotional! The risk of living with a minister is that you might get to be the subject of a sermon, or at least an anecdote in the sermon. The same risk occurs with us writers. A funny circumstance comes along and the next thing you know you get a starring role in a devotional, or perhaps worse, a fiction novel. This sort of thing could make a person walk on eggshells, as the old saying goes, when around one of us. You may even pray before going to bed at night, "Lord, please don't let me do something to become the meat of the pastor's next serving, er, I mean, sermon!"

We all want to be the good story that the pastor or writer uses as an example. Sometimes we get that role; other times we get to provide the humor part of the funny story. I want to be Superman in the story, but usually I'm not even Clark Kent. As a writer, I observe what goes on around me and within me, and turn that to stories and examples for my devotional. However, what does Jesus have to say about you and me? We were part of His story too!

Jesus said that we are the light of the world (Matt 5:14) Who me? Yes, me and you, we are lights of God in the great darkness of the world. How did we get to be that? Well, it wasn't through our efforts at being good. We are reborn in Christ, and He made us who we are. All those surface things that we are so often concerned about are not mentioned in the scripture as a part of who we are. Instead, we are the salt of the earth, the light of the world, a city on a hill, children of God, beloved by God our Father. So, maybe we do want to be the subject of a devotional...God's devotional.

God's love and devotion to you,
Bucky

No comments: