Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Cowardly or Loving?

Wow, the frost would not give way this morning, so I walked to the Bible study. I think a bit more gathered on the few spots that I did clear earlier. We had some big flakes (of snow) yesterday, but nothing remains this morning. Winter's grip is a bit weak this day, but come it will. Election day has come at last. There is a lesson in endurance, forbearance, and patience for us in all the political ads each election. I can hardly wait for 2016 to see how much of those qualities the Spirit has grown in me.

Suppose you or I know something about someone and just want to talk about it. However, in cowardice or love we wait until the other person brings up the subject. It doesn't happen. Was it cowardly or loving that I didn't introduce the subject and dive right in? I tend to think it was loving, but then again I may be a coward. And, there's nothing we cowards like more than to be affirmed by someone else that we were not cowards. So please affirm me before I start to think more cowardly thoughts! :-)

Actually, when a sensitive subject arrives, the tongue may be linked to a device that through many ratchets, pulleys, and lines attempts to drag the foot up and into the mouth. It is alright to forbear to speak on something that will hurt the other person. I may think I know so much about something, when in reality I do not know what the other fellow is feeling. I may in fact know much through experience, but that now was not the right time. The Spirit will guide us in this. Another time will come when the Spirit is willing and will guide the weak flesh to speak words of comfort and encouragement. Speak those at the wrong time though, and all may be lost in pain while the taste of foot lingers in the mouth.

Jesus never had to apologize. Much of that came from knowing the right words to speak at exactly the right time. Our best course is to look to the Lord for guidance in our speaking.

Have a great and righteous day in Christ!
Bucky

No comments: