Monday, November 24, 2014

Lawlessness Shall Increase

Hmm, sounds a bit like the start of some anarchist manifesto. But no, I'm just recalling a bit from the Olivet Discourse Jesus gave many years ago. Actually, I have to recall it from my reading of Matthew's account of the discourse, because I wasn't around at the time Jesus spoke of the end times. Our Lord walked the earth centuries before my great-great-grandparents were born. I wonder this morning whether lawlessness increases because so many turn to darkness, or, is it helped along by such a profusion of government regulations (witness the size of the Affordable Care Act) that no one can keep up with the sheer volume of laws. I don't know, when I grab just part of Matthew 24:12, my thoughts are different than when I read the remainder. "And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold." Ah, now the focus changes to the result of that lawlessness.

When love grows cold, we all suffer. What about lawlessness though? Sure, imagine the results if someone woke up this morning and decided that stop signs weren't for him. The way up the hill to work might resemble a demolition derby if a few of these lawless folks all drove at the same time. We would expect such persons to be prosecuted and certainly prevented from driving and causing more damage. What happens when the lawless end times arrive and such persons are not arrested, prosecuted, or punished, but are instead encouraged to lawlessness by the lack of such things? Lawlessness points to a general breakdown of safety and security for all. Can we, as followers of Christ, hold off this lawlessness by spreading the love of Christ?

Like salt spreading throughout the recipe, we bring love and the law wherever we go. As for holding off the end times, I believe that God knows the hour and day, and that it isn't a moving target. However, as the followers of Christ, it is our job to give it all we got. Our Lord said: "You are the salt of the earth..." (Matt 5:13)

Bucky

No comments: