Wednesday, November 13, 2013

What May I Commit To?

Good frosty morning! I cannot commit to tomorrow. Nope, don't know what is in tomorrow. I cannot even guarantee that it and I will arrive there together. I cannot commit to marriage - I'm missing the other half of that commitment. I cannot commit to a lot of things because there is so much that may change even in this day. However, I can commit to those things that I am called to, such as love and faith.

I may (as in allowed, not might) commit today to love. I can commit myself to learning love for myself and all neighbors. You see, in order to love my neighbor as myself, I must first learn to see myself as loveable. Jesus loves me. I want to be like Jesus. Therefore, I can commit to loving myself, and then commit to loving my neighbor as myself. Loves flows through from God to Jesus to me to you to our neighbors like a river of joy and brightest color with beautiful sound and scents. We barely know the reality of God's great love yet.

I may commit to faith in my Lord. My strength has proven too little so often that it seems rather dumb to continue to depend on me alone. However, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Phil 4:13) Seems like my faith must go in Christ's direction. We can overcome this world because Jesus assured us that He has already done so. (John 16:33) All of my dreams can be achieved in Christ...uh oh, maybe I should ask the stronger partner what HE wants first. My dreams tend to be laden with self-interest.

I can commit to my greedy self-interested dreams, Jesus will allow me that, but can I expect His help? How much better to commit to faith, and then ask, seek, and knock for the Way. God patiently waits for me to learn that selfishness doesn't get very far with Him.

Praise the Lord for the day!
Bucky

No comments: