Monday, October 07, 2013

We Are Forgiven

Good morning on this brand new Monday! As I sit here writing and thinking about forgiveness, I wonder if I have forgotten to forgive anyone. Well, if I cannot recall an incident, there is no sense in trying to dredge one up from the distant past to torment myself. Forgetting in that case seems rather too easy for me. The saying goes that we should forgive and forget. On the other hand, forgetting is not so easy when the wrong is coming from the opposite direction. God forgets as He forgives by placing our sins as far from Him as the east is from the west. I find that my forgetting is not quite up to the level of my Father in Heaven.

Jesus gave us a directive for that, something about forgiving many times. God places sins away from His memory as an act of love. We struggle to achieve that same level of forgiveness, but that does not mean that we should stop trying. After seventy times seven times we may in fact find that enough time has passed that we have forgotten the offense. Of course if one reminds himself 490 times by forgiving then the event may be so cemented into the memory banks that nothing can jar it loose. The curse sits deep in us, and we may need the powerful assistance of our Lord Jesus in this and many other tasks in this journey.

Hmm, I checked the game score once and it didn't look good yesterday. However, I didn't check at the end and it appears that I cannot yet call the Broncos any derogatory names. It seems the team does well when I cannot watch them on my television. Congrats to the 5-0 Denver Broncos, even if their defense took a bit of a holiday until the last minute or two.

Bucky

No comments: