Friday, October 11, 2013

Faith: The Mountain

Good wet Friday to you! I dreamed of a mountain last night, a particularly difficult one. The mountain had no road or trail, steep sides with many boulders, and these volcanic vents spewing lava and hot gases every now and then. The four wheels of my vehicle slipped, sometimes all at once, and progress came slowly. Ah, the mountain of faith, at times almost a nightmare to us. This mountain is not made up of faith, that would be too easy. Instead, the mountain is there to test our faith, and such a test it is.

At times in our life, we feel that faith has slipped. The trail is so steep that all four wheels are sliding backward and it is so difficult for us to believe. Like the man in Mark 9:23-24, we cry out, "I do believe, help my unbelief!" Other times we find the going difficult, but we make some progress upward to "win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Then, we occasionally get flamed by a volcanic vent on the side of that dreadful mountain. The burn hurts and perhaps our vehicle comes to a stop for a while to beg for healing.

Other pitfalls and difficulties you may imagine on your own mountain of testing. Perhaps you don't need to imagine at all but can list a lengthy catalog of such things. The view from the top of this mountain is well worth it, but we have to take that on faith too. What I can see from partway up the trail does not look very fun, though it is at times exciting. I seem to recall a trailblazer that was to go ahead of me, but I don't see his trail. Perhaps I have created difficulty by trying to bulldoze my own way through the briars and thickets without a bulldozer. A pause on the mountainside for prayer is the ticket here!

Have a great Friday, wet though it may be.
Bucky

No comments: