Saturday, October 26, 2013

Stand Firm Against the Squirrels

Good Saturday! I met up with a friend this morning who is doing today what I did last year, selling off his stock of personal stuff to raise some cash. You may of course substitute a more appropriate word for 'stuff'. As I chatted with him, I noticed him grabbing the odd item here or there and squirreling it away in a back room. Now this is no way to raise money for the need and I had to call him on it. There is no one harder on a smoker than a recovered cigarette addict, and it goes much the same with those who hold yard/garage sales when need forces their hand. Doug paid me off by letting me take a 50-cent lighthouse knickknack I liked. Sometimes we can help with understanding and love based on our experiences, other times we are too easily paid off.

We approach the sin of another with great danger to our self. We attempt to stand firm against the squirrels only to find that we have joined them. Sin is sneaky that way, for all of us can help one another fall. The apostles warned us of this in their letters. I suspect these warnings too came from personal falling experience. In relating my experiences, I must make sure to warn you away from falling in with my sins. The old chair demonstration is always good to illustrate the ease of pulling another person down as opposed to the difficulty of pulling him up.

We need help from our Lord to pull each other up. Any of us can fall in with the squirrels and pull the rest down. Gee, I'm kind of hard on the squirrels today, one must have tromped across the roof last night disturbing my sleep. Have a great and blessed Saturday in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: