Tuesday, May 01, 2012

A New Song

Good morning! I'll leave it at that, because it is too dark to see what the day is like outside. For most of the day and night, I had a song bouncing around in my head. Suddenly, upon awakening that song had been replaced with a new song. Why does that happen? In Christ, we know who may give us a new song to begin the day. Jesus may not like something about the old song. In our days of sin and rebellion, the songs of our heart spoke of that in which we lived. Sin and rebellion characterize many a tune in the popular world. Going back now to the songs of that time, you or I may be surprised to find that sweet singer of our youth singing of adultery. That old drinking song may have less to do with fun and more to do with slavery to sin. Sometimes a new song is needed in our Christian walk, but we very much need one when we come to Christ for that first time.

Your new song may song like an old hymn. That has happened to many new Christians. We also have a rich selection of new praise and worship songs by talented musicians and songwriters of today. A new song may bring to mind a Bible verse in a whole new way to us. Other tunes bring the thought of Christ to us in a way that is easier to remember. I find it more difficult to memorize dry text. Song lyrics with a good tune are more easily recalled. This is not surprising. If a person has trouble with memorization, the recommendation is often to sing the words. Putting a catchy melody with the singing makes it that much easier. I believe that God made us with a song of praise in our hearts. That song may get lost in the world, but God brings it out of those He chooses to hear the call of the Holy Spirit.

Does this mean that we all should sing a solo up on the stage? Perhaps not, I carry a great tune in the two perfect listening environments I have, the shower and the driver's seat. Standing up in the congregation my tune tends to wander around a bit. If I had to sing without accompaniment like those folks on TV, people might wonder if they were watching some kind of bad yodeling contest. The song in my heart may not issue perfectly from my lips, but the joy of the song is right where Jesus put it. The joy is what we need. The perfect melody, pitch, tone, and other things can wait until we sing to God in Heaven.

Have a merry melody today.
Bucky

No comments: