Friday, May 04, 2012

It Is Well

Good morning as we seek the will of God. It is well with my soul when my life is lived in obedience to God. However, my Bible has one little shortcoming in my opinion. God did not personalize it with answers to some questions that come up from time to time. Questions that many of us have in fact. Like, which job should I take out of high school? That is of course assuming you have a choice. Or, which college should I attend, or which degree program should I take once I get there? Here's a good one: which person is the right spouse for me? I memorized the verse, "Remember the LORD in everything you do, and He will show you the way." I looked and looked, but nothing seems to be showing me the way. I come to a crossroads in life, or a seemingly insurmountable problem, but no sign appears with the words 'This way!' to show me the way to turn.

A minister once took out his Bible and found the references to God's will. Verse by verse, we listened but not one of those verses said anything like a specific direction to take when choosing a career. I have looked back on my life and wondered what might have been if at a particular crossroads, I would have stopped to ask for God's guidance. But, what if God did show me the way in such a way that I was guided without me realizing it? What if God's promise to show me the way lined up just perfectly with what I thought I wanted at the time? The road I took turned out to be difficult, frustrating at times, I wanted to give up. Does that mean I chose the way out of God's will? Perhaps not, we did read about the narrow and difficult way that leads to life.

As we look back and think that the other fork would have been easier, we might want to understand that the difficult way was the best. If God told us specifically, 'Take that way', the flesh would immediately rise up in rebellion. God says to trust in Him; the flesh urges us to do it our way. God says to wait on Him; the flesh urges immediate action. We fight this battle until God calls us home. And, yes, the flesh fights even that call as the body will struggle to its very final breath to live. Our Lord Jesus laid out for you and me the narrow and difficult path. By faith, we walk this path, whether we realize it at every moment of not. My mind of flesh will cast doubt on every decision like the rebel that it is. The spirit God gave me when I surrendered to His Son shows me the way, even in those times when I feel 'off the path'.

Praise God for Friday!
Bucky

No comments: