Monday, May 07, 2012

A Moment of I's

Good Monday evening. How do I comfort another when I feel the need for comfort? How do I see the need in a brother, when I need him to see the need in me? We all face moments of the I's. Those moments when our heartfelt prayer to God comes in the form of I need, I want, I can't live without, and more. In this moment, we may yet realize that others suffer the same needs, desires, and dire circumstances that cause us to cry out to God. One of the great privileges of the Christian life is in comforting our brothers and sisters in Christ. God sends us to each other in times of great need, and we have the God-given ability to comfort each other. Even those moments when my need seems so great that all I can pray is about myself draws God closer to me as I draw near to Him.

Of course, we should be ashamed of a prayer of nothing but 'I want's'. But so often during a time of tribulation you and I will find a prayer of earnest seeking for mercy and deliverance passing our lips. We have no thought for others in that moment for our need is so great upon us that we can only come to the Lord with urgent supplication. In that moment or immediately thereafter, you may find a comforter at your door. Needless to say, you may find the Comforter in your heart first. God puts us into the fire of His forge for only just long enough to accomplish His purpose. God is not one to see you and me suffer without some greater good coming from the trial. The times of trial and tribulation are always longer than I would like, but I trust God that the duration is just what I need.

Trust in God this evening!
Bucky

No comments: