Monday, May 14, 2012

I Come Up Short

Great Monday evening to you! When comparing my condition to the Almighty, what do I use to compare the Lord's side? Before I can know how short of perfection I am, I must understand perfection with my so imperfect mind. I try to set my works against God's law and fail the test. How then do I compare my works with God's own standard of perfection? Comparison cannot work for me, because I cannot comprehend the perfect God. Why am I bothering to try comparing myself against God anyway? The Bible tells me the result of my goodness against God's standard; I come up short! Instead, I must concentrate on knowing all I can about the one who did satisfy God's standard, His own Son.

Jesus satisfied the justice of God by dying on the cross in our place and bearing our sins. No more are we condemned in Heaven's court, for the price has been paid in full. The charges against us were not dropped, the sentence was carried out on another. Jesus died condemned for sins he did not commit so that we could be free of the penalty. You and I may try to compare, but we waste our time in this activity. Best to let the Holy Spirit cleanse our hearts, while we help out through the study of God's word. We have plenty to do in prayer for others without worrying how we stack up against them in God's eyes. We all fall short of God's standard. Now that Jesus has given us His grace, we need not fear judgment.

Praise the Lord!
Bucky

No comments: