Monday, March 17, 2008

Word of Mouth - March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Yesterday my morning Bible study took me to Mark. I had been reading in the Old Testament for some time, but yesterday I felt it time to start in the Gospels once more. Mark stats off with Jesus' healing ministry very quickly. People believed in His healing power and came from all over the region to have their demons cast out and their diseases healed. Jesus told one man whom he cured of leprosy to tell no one. However, that man could not keep quiet and spread Jesus' fame all over the area. Some might think, "well if Jesus would heal me of all my illnesses, I could believe too." I suspect that all of the people Jesus healed of some present condition, later became ill from something else. Just like we heal from the flu or a cold and later come down with something else. I am sure that they never suffered the same condition again, but other diseases came along in their lives. Jesus told Thomas that "blessed are those who have not seen and still believe." Just like the Pharisees who demanded a sign, Jesus knew that miracles alone would not save everyone. Some believed and were saved, others did not, even with the word of mouth that spoke of Jesus' miracles in every town and farm. Our word of mouth will not always be believed either, but that shouldn't stop us from trying. People are lost all around us, listen for the opportunity to tell them about the Savior.

God grants us peace, enjoy it!

Bucky

No comments: