Monday, March 31, 2008

His Ways - March 31, 2008

Good Monday morning! We awaken to another coating of snow to end the month of March. Yes, one-fourth of the year is now over. I know, it sounds like I am going to start up my Christmas countdown again, or already. However, I will not do that just yet, even though the day looks like a Christmas postcard out there. Today also ends my first week out of school. I had quite a few one week breaks, so as my Ma pointed out, tomorrow may be the day when this really starts to sink in.

In Mark this morning, I read about two things we often do not understand. Jesus chose Peter, James, and John to go with him up on a high mountain where they saw our Lord transfigured, and secondly, the healing of a possessed boy. Jesus told the disciples that a certain type of demon could only be sent packing through prayer, or prayer and fasting in some manuscripts. Both of these episodes in the life of our Lord raise a lot of questions and few satisfactory answers. Why only those three? Why only by prayer? Many other questions could be asked about those stories. In reading the Bible for much of my life, I can only say that I have a strong suspicion that there will be many things that I do not understand about the Bible stories even if I live to be 120. Actually, if Methuselah had the entire Bible, even he would probably not understand everything in it at the ripe old age of 967! God reminds us that His ways are far above our ways and that His understanding goes far beyond what we are able to understand. That gives me great comfort in these uncertain times. I know that no matter how complex life gets, the Lord is still in charge and nothing is beyond His understanding and control.

Praise God for His ways!

Bucky

No comments: