Saturday, March 10, 2007

March 10, 2007

Good morning! Well, tomorrow is the first March 11 time change. We get to enjoy the change from standard to daylight savings time 3 weeks early! I don’t know about you, but I feel a bit like saying a good, sarcastic, Daffy Duck “woo hoo”. Be that as it may, I get the “honor” of coming in at 0200 to check our various devices for the time change tomorrow morning. I wonder if my neighbors will take down their Christmas lights today. Hmm, Microsoft’s grammar checker says no question mark after that last sentence. I suppose I get to wonder without my question mark today.
I like the verse at the top of Dr. Kennedy’s devotional today, it makes me laugh. But his citizens hated him, and sent a delegation after him, saying, “We will not have this man to reign over us.” (Luke 19:14) What pride it takes to cause someone to reject the King of kings! As though anyone has a choice when the King arrives, they reject him because Jesus does not fit their image of a king. We do have one important choice to make in this life, to accept Jesus or reject him. However, what we choose will not affect the outcome; Jesus will reign in Heaven and on Earth. Those who reject him will not be here to protest. Those who choose him will be too overjoyed to protest anything.
Did you ever see a bird of indeterminate species against the background of the cloudy sky and wonder what type of bird it was? The blank background makes it difficult to determine the size of the bird; without a scale to measure against we cannot tell how large or small the bird is. I am not familiar enough with birds to tell from the shape alone and color washes out against a grey sky. The coming of Christ is much like that; we know he comes soon because he told us so. However, we have no scale to measure against. Is his return moments away or days, months or years? We have no way of knowing and Jesus told us that we would have no way of knowing the date. However, through the prophecies in the Word, we see a shape in the clouds, figuratively speaking. Signs abound in the world that the time is near, but how near we do not know. Today I pray for a God-sized dose of hope and faith for us all.

As the Newsboys sing,

No power of hell, no scheme of man
can ever pluck me from His hand.
‘til he returns or calls me home,
here in the power of Christ I’ll stand.


Bucky

No comments: