Saturday, April 01, 2017

The Supremely Confident Fool

A wise man fears and departs from evil,
But a fool rages and is self-confident. Proverbs 14:16

Today, for some odd reason, the subject is the fool, and not just any fool - the supremely confident fool.

We seem to be living in an age of outrage. Many are confident their view is the correct one and they shout it to the world with anger. Their angry self-confidence becomes unshakable to the point that nothing from a different opinion or point of view can enter in to their fortress of pride. I have lived this way in the past and found it quite comfortable. There is a serious danger in living comfortably wrong while firmly believing yourself to be in the right. Then God gave me a new life.

Out of mistakes, setbacks, tragedies, and plain old teaching, my Lord showed me that against the judgment of His law I have no defense and stand guilty as charged on many counts of sin. Confidence in me? What good would it do me to base my legal defense on such a leaky vessel as I? What I thought was strength the law showed to be weakness. Any good works could not hold their own against an avalanche of self-centered deeds and sins. And then came faith.

Saving my self by myself was a foolish notion in a fallen world. Faith brought me a savior before I knew the meaning of Savior. In fact, I am still discovering in His word the depth and breadth of His saving grace. The supremely confident fool was led to a place of humility and faith where wisdom dwells, and he could take zero credit for getting himself there. Truly I am blessed by the Lord!

Use this day, my fellow former fools, to remember all that our Lord Jesus has saved us from even as we discover more of His great love.

Bucky

No comments: