Friday, April 21, 2017

Burdensome

And when I was present with you, and in need, I was a burden to no one, for what I lacked the brethren who came from Macedonia supplied. And in everything I kept myself from being burdensome to you, and so I will keep myself. 2 Corinthians 11:9

Paul was a self-contained unit when he traveled, a burden to no one. Um, that is not quite what he wrote. Paul did say that he was a burden to no one in his Corinthian church, but he also admitted to his need being met by some other brothers. Paul did not claim to be self-sufficient.

We too will have seasons where we are in need, and seasons where we can help others in need. We might think that being rich in goods and loot would be the way to be all the time, but that has its own temptations, not the least of which is the tendency to forget our need for God. We don't want to hurt in this life, but I must admit that I talk to God a lot more when I am hurting. You may find some of those same tendencies in yourself. Rich and healthy: I got this Lord; thanks, but I'll call when I need you. Poor and in pain: constant prayer and supplication with full realization of our need for Him. Now which communication do you suppose God will prefer? Therefore the way to be is rich and healthy with constant prayer and a full knowledge of our need for Him, and a little gratitude won't hurt either! Yes, but until that season comes, we'll just have to learn gratitude and contentment in whatever field we find our grazing for the day.

It may not be Good Friday, but it's still a good Friday in Christ Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: