Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Pasture You Have Set Before Me

So we, Your people and sheep of Your pasture,
​​Will give You thanks forever;
​​We will show forth Your praise to all generations. Psalm 79:13

Asaph does not quite get the credit David does for psalm writing, but he or she has wonderful verses too. Like this one we read today for example. Gratitude, contentment - the sheep of God's pasture should be content where He has put them. Which is why I have taken up the prayer lately, let me be content in the pasture You have set before me today, Lord. Has it worked yet? Like faith, sanctification, love, and fearlessness, I'm still His work in progress, and the shortcomings are my fault all the way. I'd be content with fearlessness; can that be my pasture for today?

But do I know that? Early in life I learned to be fearful. Can I ever be content in fearlessness? Such questions are of that earthly terrible twosome: the flesh and the devil. Of course I can be content in all those fruits of the Spirit God has given. All I need is an unmovable faith in Christ my Lord. Great, where does this faith come from? It is a gift from God. So, are we getting to the point where all of the fruits of the Spirit grow together as we go through the trials of life? Well, yeah! Whoever said God was going to let a fruit or two lag behind? Therefore it is all His work in me and you. How do we learn to be content in today's pasture? Start with Asaph's advice - gratitude forever. Praise all the time. I don't have this life under control: God does!

Have a great Saturday living in the love of Jesus,

Bucky

No comments: