Thursday, January 12, 2017

There Was A Cheerful Song

Once upon a time I seem to recall a cheerful song about Jesus coming into my life and clouds rolling away. The problem is that after Jesus came into my life, big hairy thunderstorms sometimes chased me across the plains of that life. This is not some perception problem with me, the song is not quite right or perhaps my recall of the exact words is out of whack. But Jesus did not promise this life would be easy, cloud-free, or a gentle walk along a quiet path to the end. He did warn us of tribulation, the world's hatred, scoffers, and enemies coming in through windows, over walls, and having their headquarters in our very city. Our Lord told His disciples of being hauled before the courts and rulers for His name's sake. From what I have seen among my Christian brothers and sisters, we don't get a free pass through this life.

Now, you might say that after raining, hailing, snowing, and blowing on me until I am left ragged, soaked, bruised, and rattled the clouds did roll away eventually. Yes, one could say the song is right in that respect. But, ouch! We do face the test in this life, and we do have His promise that all will be worked out for our good. We can rejoice in the tough times having a purpose in Christ. No matter what the world throws at us, we have also His word that it will be ended one day. All of these trials and tribulations, hurts and pains, sorrow and mourning, will one day be rolled up and thrown away forever. God Himself will wipe away our tears. And, since Jesus came into my life, I have not had to face one trial, test, or tribulation alone.

Praise God for His great goodness!
Bucky

No comments: