Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A Crown of Righteousness

Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. (2 Tim 4:8)

For me, really? The one who can see no end to his sinfulness, a crown of righteousness reserved in God's heaven? How can this be? Like Mary did in her time, I believe that I will just take the Lord's word for it. My earning of this crown will never happen, for even to perform good works with this in mind is to serve myself. If I go out onto the streets to perform good works with my crown in mind, then I am no better than those people who will do anything to sell an amount to meet some level that earns a prize. Heaven then becomes just some levels game and one will win the prize while others lose. We don't want that; we want what the Lord says through His apostle Paul.

The crown is laid up for all those who love His appearing. Well, to love His appearing I must believe that it will happen, that is, I must believe in Him. Which, interestingly, is the same criteria stated for eternal life in John 3:16 - Believe in Him! A crown I cannot win, an eternal life I cannot earn, all this and His promise too: the promise never to leave or forsake me. The Almighty God would never chose to hang out with one beyond hope of redemption. Therefore, His work must one day be complete in me, and I will go to be with Him forever. Praise God, I may not deserve the crown or the life, but He will make sure I get them both. That is the love of our Lord in action!

Amen. Come Lord Jesus,
Bucky

No comments: