Friday, June 24, 2016

Pricing the Priceless

As I clean out a lot of junk, er, stuff in my home, I put it up on an auction site and then comes the hard part: pricing my treasures. Now to me the thing must be priced to start somewhere and I am sure it is worth hundreds of dollars; the auction will set me straight, usually in about seven days time. Some of the things I value most (books for example) don't even rate a bid. Others bring surprising amounts that seem to make no sense to me (including one set of books). I can pack up the thing and weigh it on a scale - that is a quantity that is fixed and I cannot argue with it. Shipping is quoted by one of the package services and becomes a part of the price, but where to start? Too high and no bids will be forthcoming. Too low sometimes works because bidders like to bid, but too low might also be a warning sign that I put no value in the thing because it is indeed, junk. So the starting price is a bit of a guess with some estimation thrown in. So, how about something truly priceless? Where would I start there?

Salvation, the good news of Jesus, can these things be priced or auctioned? Of course not, and trying to equate eternal life or the Savior to an earthly system of value measure does not work at all. Our Lord is beyond anything like that; I cannot price the priceless. An auction, should any site allow such a thing, might produce a price, but it wouldn't mean anything because grace, salvation, and our Lord Jesus are not for sale. Judas tried and did receive a price but he threw it back at the bidders. We can only give the good news of Jesus away for free. We can share our Savior, but never sell Him. Try to put Him in your wallet and there's nothing to be grasped. Keep Him in your heart and treasures beyond price flow forth. Those who know Him will tell you that we don't keep Him, He keeps us!

For goodness' sake, open the door of your heart and let Him in!

Bucky

No comments: