Tuesday, June 07, 2016

I Say Too Much Sin - He Says "Grace!"

Today in our men's Bible study we read the first parts of 1 Timothy 3, the qualifications for bishops and deacons as set down by Paul to his friend and student, Timothy. As I read the list of those qualifications, I could see right away that I was by no means qualified. For one thing, I don't have a wife and Paul wrote that both should be the husband of one wife - so right there I am substandard. Yuk, yuk, yuk.

Actually, it goes much further than that. Have I always been temperate, sober-minded, gentle... nope, nope, and nope. Maybe those other ones? Have I at times been greedy for money, quarrelsome, violent.. aagh! I seem to be a lot better at the 'not' examples! I say too much sin; Jesus says "Grace!"

No one in his or her own strength can qualify even for Paul's brief list of what is needed for a leadership position in the church here in this life. How can we ever expect to qualify for a position, any position, in Christ's Heaven? We can't of course. That is up to God. He leads us by His Son down the road of righteousness. Those who God has lead down that road a bit must be the leaders at His calling. As the saying goes, if you feel worthy of His calling, you probably aren't. We must trust in Him to make us worthy of our calling in Christ.

Have a wonderful, bright, and joyous Tuesday in the grace of Christ Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: