Saturday, April 18, 2015

That Old Hymn

A few of us left on the earth can remember the old hymns sung in church before the turn of the century. Back in my day, I liked the hymns played at a faster tempo. Now that I'm a bit older...I still like the faster ones, I just can't keep up as I used to do. I may need a few more decades before I'm found singing the first verse while everyone else is already on the second, but such things are no longer out of the realm of the possible. What I may have scoffed at back in the days of youth, I understand better as my questions about the old folks got answered by experience one or two at a time. As each birthday passes, those strange creatures known as adults become more understandable to me. Of course I'll never quite catch up, because as Bernard Baruch once said, "To me, old age is always fifteen years older than I am."

However, like it or not, at some point I did as Paul said and put away the childish things (well, mostly) and thought as a man. Strangely, at some other unknown point I began growing back toward that childhood thing. The great thing in this is that our Lord promised to never leave us or forsake us. Whether I find myself old in years and young at heart, Christ will be with me. If I find myself middle-aged in years but old at heart, Jesus is there. When I was young in years and ignorant of the older things, Jesus led me through that time too. During all those many years, that old hymn played in my heart even when I wasn't paying attention. Which old hymn? Your choice is as good as mine. Enjoy whichever old hymn seems to suit your occasion or circumstance for today.

Have a great day in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: