Friday, April 10, 2015

Grab Yourself a Bit O' The Word

Why can't I think of anything to write about this morning? Too few brain cells active on a Friday morning perhaps? Too many anxious thoughts swirling in the mind maybe? It may well be that I am depending upon myself as is too often the case, and not recalling that Jesus said that we can nothing without Him. I am a dried up branch if I do not remain attached and feeding from the True Vine. To keep this thing going that we call following Christ, I need to grab a bit o' the Word.

Situational awareness leads us to memorize or read passages and verses from the Bible that fit where we are and what is going on at the time. If we are fearful, we might recall the words Paul gave to Timothy, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind." Your translation may use 'self-control' in place of 'sound mind', but I like the one quoted in this age of anxiety, depression, and other mental illness. That spirit of fear we hear from so often - not given by God, so we are free to fight it, resist it, and denounce it in the name of Jesus.

Feel a spirit of lust invading your peaceful Friday? Look to the psalm where David had to face his sin and repent before the Lord. What? I'm not giving book, chapter, and verse references today? There are 150 psalms to search through, which one are we talking about here? Ah ha, go on a treasure hunt in the Word of God today; you may find many passages and verses that fit the current attack on your faith. I have found that a treasure hunt in the Word produces results far more often than those other kinds of treasure hunts we engage in.

Have a beautiful Friday in Christ Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: