Monday, February 02, 2015

Second Guesses is So Easy

The comments about the final play of the Super Bowl remind me that second guessing after the fact comes so easily to some folks. Of course it's the worst play ever and all that... after we have seen that it didn't work. If you have been privileged to have a design or engineering job, you know the second guessers will come out in force when the project is ready for showtime. Those who have put no, that is zero, none, and not any, work into the design show up to take their potshots at the result. I have seen my boss sit down with a customer and ask them to name a price, whatever they may think. The customer has no thoughts to share. The boss then names a listing price based on his years of experience with selling homes. Suddenly, the customer has thoughts, sometimes several of them. Where did these come from?

Of course, we are just as guilty. We second guess God all the time. Why does He make me suffer so? Why doesn't He shower me with all that I think I need? Why does God seem to ignore my prayers? These and many other questions and second guesses come to mind often, probably helped along by the fiery darts of our adversary. Even the thought that I might somehow earn my salvation is a second guessing of the price God already paid at the cross. We seem to be born to it. No surprise there, as soon as the Serpent said his lie, Eve began second guessing God. Is there any hope for us?

Jesus is our hope. In Christ we find the strength for faith; which is the opposite of second guessing God. We believe and our faith grows strong. We trust and faith in Christ becomes our shield against the enemy. Hey, I think Paul wrote something about that shield of faith. Guess I don't need to second guess the great apostle!

Have a wonderful Groundhog Day in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: