Thursday, August 14, 2014

Starting Small

Good morning! Often I have quailed at the size of a task or project when I looked at the entire thing and catalogued all that needed doing. Nothing unusual there, many folks do that very thing and it prevents many a project from completion. We take on a lot big projects, or have them assigned to us, and we set some lofty goals in this life. However, we also put the self through a lot of pain by trying to work the entire thing in our anxious little heads all in one day. Imagine that God spoke to you through a burning bush today. His assignment: move the Atlantic Ocean out of the way so the lands can come back together again. Of course you or I would immediately give up because the job is too huge, beyond our capability, and with the wars going on over there we don't particularly want to do this thing anyway. Like Jonah, we might just run up to the ticket counter at the nearest port (Yes, airPORT will do fine.) and head off in the opposite direction.

First, we failed to take account that God is in us and with us always, including all those gigantic projects. Second, we probably should start small, ya know, like that proverbial eating the elephant thing. This morning, or more accurately - last night, I once again decided to improve myself through a deep Bible study each morning. "Time, time, time," the self hollered to the little operations center up high in the brain, "We don't have time to add that into all the morning chores!" So, I decided through the Spirit's leading to start small. Each morning, I want to remember to remind myself that I am accepted in Christ.

Seems fairly small, but it is so important. Recalling my acceptance reminds me that I am first acceptable to Him. This is an important point for every Christian to recall. We tend to look at our condition, both inside and out, and say to God, "Unacceptable!" Of course we are going to have a difficult relationship from that point! We like to call that humility, but how can that be with God saying that we are acceptable to Him. Which is the perfect and holy one in this relationship? Ah, maybe humility is listening to and receiving what God says about us. Thus, my small beginning each morning. Acceptable to God includes all those good things like mercy, forgiveness, grace, love, lovingkindness, imputed righteousness, salvation, and His provision - a lot of very wonderful and important things we do like to receive from God. All available to me if I can just start small and remember that I am accepted in Christ.

Have a great new day in Christ who loves you!
Bucky

No comments: