Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Did I Write One Yesterday?

Good morning on this fine Wednesday! Good heavens, memory does take a tumble after 50. Maybe it was after 40, I can't remember. Everything was going fine after a great lesson yesterday, then the busy monster attacked me and I don't think I ever caught up. I'm going to go with this morning's devotional; it's just too late to worry over yesterday. Often we face a day wondering what happened the day before. This is sometimes called middle age, other times labeled absent-mindedness, or if you are fortunate to be young enough, not paying attention. Jesus called for us to live in today, this day, and not all those past ones where we blew it, made a mistake, forgot, left something off/out/on/over there and out of here. The car keys are in my right front pocket, thank you very much, but only because I have made a habit of always placing them there and checking before I lock the doors. Well, okay, there was that one incident with the wasp hive where I left them on the kitchen counter and locked up the house with me on the outside, but I claim exhilarating circumstances in that one. Years later I can remember much of that incident, but yesterday is a bit of a mystery in too many ways.

Sigh, short-term memory loss, I suppose it's time to start shopping for a nice coffin; plain wood will do for me. As many will tell me though, middle age only means there is much living to do yet. The Christian may find it easy and even wonderful to ponder on Heaven, meeting Jesus, and eternal communion with God, but there is this thing called life. We stumble, fumble, and sometimes bumble our way through it with our Lord Jesus right beside us with just a bit of the untouchable about Him. We long to touch our Lord as Thomas did, but we have to wade through this life thing first. Dwelling on the transition out of this life is just too depressing for the day. The call to come home will arrive when God wills. Jesus came that we might have life and have it abundantly. If you or I missed a date, appointment, or privilege yesterday, then it is gone and today is here, live for today and in Christ!

Have a great day, and whaddya know, I wrote one today!
Bucky

No comments: