Friday, August 22, 2014

Devotions' Greatest Hits

Good morning! I must admit that I did start out by writing 'Thursday' before finding myself moving my perceptions to the correct day. I should know the day because this morning was the weekly gag and choke treatment for mosquitoes. This morning, I want to take a look at your music collection. One or more of them probably says something like 'Greatest Hits' or 'Anthology', or another term meaning about the same thing. Are you sure all of those songs were great? Some of us may have a greatest hits album from a group that apparently had no hits. We like greatest lists, mainly I think to wonder how someone could consider 'that' movie or book a part of the greatest anything. I notice that among the classic works of literature in my Greatest Books Ever Written collection that being a part of the collection does not necessarily mean the book is enjoyable to read. Some of those books attempt to hook the reader with boredom, others with disgust. Yet, someone considered that book as being greatest. Ah, I think we have the clue we need in 'someone'.

Yes, the greatest hits the world offers up are always a part of some person's opinion, informed or otherwise, professional or popular, crazy or crackpot. Do you have a greatest hits of the Bible? No, I realize that a question like that gives you cause to run to the correct answer. "All of the Lord's word is precious to me!" you might speak in fear of the Lord or in fear of what others might say. Fine, but you know that isn't always the answer in your heart. Around Christmas, we might say Luke 2, Matthew 1, Isaiah 9, you know, the Christmas stories take their place for a while as greatest hits of the Bible. Easter features the stories from the end of the gospel accounts. A time of stress might feature a lot of psalms. Those raised on comic book heroes, action/adventure movies, and similar genres might tend toward the stories of Samson, Gideon, and David. The Bible is big and powerful, we will naturally tend toward some parts over others at times. Fear not! The Lord works through our 'greatest hits' selections too. Favorite selections or not, the good part is being in the Word!

Have a great Friday in Christ!
Bucky

P.S. Oh, look, I done went and wrote against some church policy. Horrible, terrible me! Hey, I trust the Lord's Holy Spirit to lead us on from our favorite parts of the Bible. Hold off on your legalistic cudgeling of me for just a bit. See where God leads in His gentle might.

No comments: