Thursday, August 21, 2014

Got Up With The Stupids

Good morning on this, uh, day. That little dumb-sounding interjection holds the place where I edited out all the words describing August conditions that we don't need to be reminded of to start the day. This morning I kinda felt that I got up with a case of the stupids, so I went to God in prayer to begin the devotional. That move is of course not stupid at all. See, a cure begins just by turning aside from the stupids and going to the One who answers prayer. Hmm, sounds like someone hauled in a load of loose-packed rock barrels this early morning. I guess he should have gone to the Lord in prayer first. Hold it there, mate! Let us not make 'going to the Lord in prayer' a euphemism for calling someone stupid. How words can twist around on us if we are not careful!

In this old world, it does seem at times that even the smartest of moves can be turned around on us. I'm sure that Paul heard himself called things that would make you and me blush. Of course he did! They called Jesus "Beelzebub", how opposite can you get? Paul, undoubtedly one of the sharpest tools in the 1st Century shed, probably heard people refer to himself by the worst sorts of names belittling his intelligence. What did Jesus hear in the thoughts of those who did not believe in Him? Better to not know that lest we be tempted to speak those things even by accident. Whatever you or I felt like when we got up this morning, we must remember one thing: We got up in Christ, and that was as far from stupid as we can get. Praise the Lord!

Bucky

No comments: