Thursday, September 20, 2012

That's Not Your Job!

Great day in the mornin'! I'm not sure where that came from, but I'll borrow it for this morning. We hear a lot of things that do belong in the Christian's job description: do good works, tithe, help the poor, and love one another. But, it can also be liberating to say, "That's not my job" in some areas of life. We have all gone for help to some office or department only to run into the worker saying, "It's not my job." and then leaving us without helping in any way. We resolve that next time, when the tables are facing in the other direction, that we will at the very least guide the customer over to the correct person.That is a good start, but some things that come up in our lives are to be avoided, even thrust away from our thoughts. For example, it is not your job to worry over tomorrow. Nope, Jesus commanded us to stick with today's worries and concentrate all of our energy worrying about only this day's worries. Uh, no... that probably wasn't quite what our Lord meant. Jesus also commanded us not to worry over food and clothing, shelter and other needs for God knows of our needs before we even speak them. We can pretty much say that it isn't in our job description to worry at all.

Another area that we are to say, "That's not my job" is in fear. Jesus commanded us many times to not be afraid. Fear and anxiety are related to worry, and we are not to do either. It isn't our job to contend with the pastor. Nope, examine his words and message, compare them with the Word of God, but contention should not be in your worship. I can recall very clearly in my years of unbelief how I contended in my mind with the sermon each week. Oh, how I knew so much back in those days. What a relief to surrender to Christ and begin learning again, to realize that in contending with the Lord's messenger I was actually contending with God. What a blessed relief to realize that it was no longer my job to contend with the knowledge of the Lord! You can think of other examples, but it is good when the temptations come to say that it is not our job to sin anymore. No, I don't have to give into that thing I used to do, it's not my job!

Enjoy the blessings of the Lord this day,
Bucky

No comments: