Saturday, September 22, 2012

Scatter Your Toys

Okay, I have this new friend. He's kind of a cranky friend. My new friend like to scatter his toys just inside the entrance to his shop. Then, after someone is impressed with his toys, he growls to keep them from touching those same toys. I can't really go to another entrance because I have permission only to use the one guarded by my friend's toys. You have probably gathered that this new friend is a dog. He is having just a bit of trouble with the conflict between placing his toys where people like me must walk over them and his desire to keep people away from his toys. Where did my new doggy friend learn this sort of behavior? Probably from a human somewhere during his life. We often behave in much the same way. We purchase some fancy camper and want all the neighbors to come see and admire it, but then we lock up the same camper to keep the neighbors from snooping around when we're not looking. Yes, we do lock things to keep strangers from stealing them, but we must admit to the first reason as well.

It is easy to look at the example of my doggy friend and see the stupidity in the conflict. However, he is just a dog. Humans can act stupidly, dogs are just what they are created to be. In thinking of him though, I wonder what actions, behaviors, or invisible signs I put up that say 'stay back!' in my own home or life. Am I accessible to those seeking Christ? Or, like my friend,do I scatter a few toys and then growl when approached by a stranger? Perhaps not, but in reviewing my life as Paul told us to do, it is a good question to ask of myself from time to time.

Enjoy the first weekend of autumn!
Bucky

No comments: