Saturday, September 08, 2012

Can I Get A Witness?

Oops, sounds like a song lyric again. Another indication that we will see an autumn this year arrived last night. My room got plenty cool and it is cool outside this morning. Now that I have updated you on the weather, what is this about a witness? We are commissioned to witness to the nations, but what exactly is our witness? Yesterday, I filled up 4 of the 5.5qt Oxo containers with flour from a 25lb bag I purchased this week. There you have the essential facts including quantities, time, and who done it. What I could have said by giving in to my teaching urge was, "You will need 4, 5.5qt Oxo containers to hold 25lbs of flour." That sounds more like what your school teacher might have said back in the day. Carrying it one step further, "Go forth and acquire 4 large containers of 5.5qt size from Oxo. Purchase 25 lbs of flour and fill the containers." Now, I have gone over into the preachy side of things. You know, that thing we may be tempted to do with our memorized scripture verses from time to time. Now that we have that out of the way, how do we make this not just a witness as in the first example, but a witness for Christ?

As you know from reading this devotional through the summer, I had a difficult summer financially speaking. Through the sale of the house that I could no longer afford, God has blessed me with a new place to live and some money left over for the things I need, and, yes, even a few things that I just want. One of these blessings is the ability to put up some flour for the winter in new storage containers. I guessed that I would need 5 of the largest Oxo containers, but I only needed 4. I have one left over for other storage needs. God's provision is great!

Now, we can see how the credit, or glory, is given to God for His provision and blessing. I didn't do it all on my own and God deserves the glory. In fact, on my own I very nearly despaired through this trial and only God's steadfast comforting presence and provision got me through it to where we are now on this day. Also, in point of fact, much has been accomplished this summer. We endured perhaps the hottest summer on record. If not the hottest it was close to the top. A little rain yesterday may be an indication of prayers answered in relief of a return to the drought that has plagued us this year. The winter wheat harvest came early, but there was a harvest. We moved three households during the hottest month, July, including my own. I am not the only one who got baptized in August, we obeyed the command of Christ by baptizing thirteen in just our little congregation. I'm sure many others were baptized around the world this summer too. Some of us found full-time or part-time jobs this summer, and others were grateful to hold on to jobs they already held. We have two weeks of summer left, but it has already been one to remember in the coming years. Praise God for this summer!

Bucky

No comments: