Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Oops, My Intended Consequence Got Lost Somewhere!

Good morning as most everyone prepares for another day of hot and more hot. It seems like I have spent most of the months of June and July in a hot and sweaty state, and I like to cry and whine about it most of the time too. I am staring down the muzzles of two cleaning products, which is the other story of my life this summer. Better news, late in the evening the final rocks were returned to their place around the house. I think we'll call for a break on digging for a bit and let the blisters and aches heal up some. Praise the Lord for jobs well done! On the other hand, the intended consequence of all the work you have endured my whining about for the past couple of months got mislaid somewhere. What many of us thought would happen has been delayed. What do we do when this happens?

I hope that I have endured enough testing and learned enough patience that this latest problem will be but an, 'Oh well, God is in control!'. However, my feelings get down, my mind wanders to thoughts of disaster and doom, and my faith in God stumbles. Soon, the thoughts of 'what if' and 'what next' come to dominate where once faith ruled. My intended consequence may even agree with God's intended consequence, but the timing is now off. What happened? Did I do or think something wrong?

We have enough to work on without trying to come up with reasons why God might have changed His mind about something we thought would happen on our time schedule. More than likely, we didn't do anything wrong with the exception of trying to schedule God's action. When I expected something may not be in line with God's perfect timing.In fact, given my origin in sin, how would I know perfect timing except that God show it to me? Instead, I come up with a schedule that seems good to me and then despair when my intended consequence gets lost somewhere. When I try to time the event, instead of bowing down to God in prayer and waiting, the only consequence may be the disappointment I feel when my expectations are dashed once more. Time to look to God and trust in Him.

Bucky

No comments: