Friday, August 07, 2009

Too Much Senses? - August 7, 2009

Good Friday morning! I'm thinking it has been a while since we just had fun on a Friday morning devotional so I will try to bring some today. We have wondered at times what Hell would be like or who would end up there. We know that those who refuse to believe in Jesus will end up there, but what is it like? One hint comes in Luke 16 with the story of the rich man and the beggar, also named Lazarus. The rich man ends up in Hell and Lazarus is taken by angels to Heaven. But, what amuses me about this story is the first request by the rich man to Father Abraham. Is it "please get me out of here"? or even what we would hope, "I repent, please save me!"? Nope, the first request is to send Lazarus to Hell with a drop of water to cool the rich man's tongue. You may shake your head over this; I certainly did. We might expect a fervent desire to repent among those in Hell, but according to Jesus' story, they will still want service...right where they sit!

The cat is sniffing the air. I read that my feline has a smell ability that is 30 times better than mine. When I think of the smells that waft through here from time to time, I have to wonder: how ever does he endure that? Sometimes we wish for better senses, but would you really want hearing so good that you heard everything your neighbors said about you? Would you want to have vision good enough to gaze around town and see everyone as they are getting up in the morning? Yikes! Perhaps one step toward contentment in Jesus is to realize that everything we want may not be what is best for us. :-)

What if you could see tomorrow? This sounds like the opening to an old Twilight Zone script. A man, not like other men... this one, Robert Jamison by name, could see tomorrow. He used his ability to gain great wealth... until he saw his death coming the next day. Robert Jamison rushed about trying to enjoy all that he could enjoy, to buy everything he could buy... and then he died the next day... of exhaustion. :-) We'll let God worry about tomorrow; have a great weekend in Christ.

Bucky

No comments: