Friday, August 14, 2009

God Needs Me - August 14, 2009

Good Friday morning! I smell school in the air! Believe it or don't, school begins this coming Wednesday around these parts. As always, that seems kind of early to me. August 19th? Yikes, where did the summer go? Labor Day comes late this year, the kids will have to endure like, 2 1/2 weeks of school before the first 3-day break. I feel for the poor little bairns! I know: "Why do you feel for them, you've been on break since last October 7th?" True, but I remember the anxiety of summer's end and the dread of going back for another year of school. I think home schooling is the answer. Then you can set summer vacation from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Heh, heh, I'm full of advice for parents...having never been one myself! :-)

In reading the Hour of Power devotional today, I had to wonder if "needs" is the right word? Does God need us? I don't know that the all-powerful God needs us to do anything for Him. But I am glad that He allows me to write for Him. I am glad that He wants me to write for Him. Perhaps I should look at "need" as not that He cannot do it himself, but that He prefers that I do the things He wants me to do, and that those tasks are for His glory and my improvement. The cat here can scratch his own head if he wants to, but he prefers that I do it. You might say that he needs me to do it to strengthen the bond between us. In that we can see how God needs us to do things for Him. He wants to strengthen the bond between us!

God could do many things for each of us. You could wake up 50lbs lighter tomorrow, or healed of all diseases and hurts. God could even pray for you and turn the pages of a Bible. However, would any of that strengthen the bond between God and us? Working for something over the long haul brings us closer and closer to God. That may be why our sanctification takes a lifetime. You and I are a work of God in progress. Feel the love of being a special project of the Creator himself! You are God's special work of art! :-)

Thank you Lord, for caring enough to make me special!

Bucky

No comments: