Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve - 2007

Good Christmas Eve morning to you! It is a fairly cold morning around here, but bright and beautiful. I know that some of you will be going to work today; I am off on a vacation day. School will break after today; two wonderful weeks off from class! I did get to watch a couple of my Scrooges this weekend and that does help to get ready for Christmas. And get ready is right, tonight is Christmas Eve! It seems strange that Christmas should come so quickly; I have been mentioning it since about June or July.

Here is the problem that many run into around Christmas. The anticipation of the holiday doesn't match the reality. A materialistic person may not get enough or the right gifts, an emotional person may have someone reject or mock a gift, a social person might find themselves alone, and many other potentially depressing situations can come to a head at Christmas. The law enforcement community refers to this as the "silly season". To me, all of this points to depending upon someone or something other than God. If you worship at the shrine of materialism, then sooner or later you will be disappointed. If your emotional condition is dependent upon how well a gift is received, then you will be bound for despair at some point, for we cannot read another person's mind to find that perfect gift. Depending on others to be around you and make you the center of attention? Well, in this world almost everyone wants to be the center of attention and many think that they are at every gathering. Why do people go to a party and get silly drunk? To be the center of attention, at least in their own mind, for a brief time.

Did you know that you have the full, undivided attention of God? Yes, the creator of all the universe is fully attentive to you, and to me, and to everyone else who trusts in Him. As a human, I cannot do that. If I am listening to one person, I cannot pay attention to what another is saying. If two or more people try to talk to me at once, I will become overwhelmed. However, God is not like us in that way. He can and does pay attention, fully, to each and every one of us at the same time. Did I say two or more people? Try to imagine hearing - and answering - the prayers of millions of people at any one moment! Yow! How does our Lord do that? I am just glad that He does and I trust in Him to do that for us.

I just realized that I am like... two hours late in writing this today. Aren't vacation days great? :-) If I cannot have fun in writing, then I should not go into it for a career. New Year's resolutions are coming soon. What do you have in mind for 2008?

God loves you and so do I!

Bucky

No comments: