Thursday, August 02, 2007

August 2, 2007

Good morning! A wonderful August morning is here and the days are counting down toward the start of school. Have you teased your favorite child today, "Look, just three weeks (or so) until school starts!" In the working world, we do not get a three month vacation, and I probably go on about this every year. Yes, I may not miss the hours sitting in class that was elementary school, but I do miss the three month vacation. Is there a vacation from the work of spreading the Good News? Sure there is, and I speak not of when we go home, God gives us rest when we need it. Your job might be to stamp treads on the soles of shoes each day, and the vacations from that job may be sweet to you. A minister might spend each day taking care of his or her flock, and the vacations will be good as well. However, in spreading the Good News, is there a time for rest? I think there is a "yes" to that. Jesus went off alone many times to pray and I would think to rest alone with God. Worn out, we are no good to anyone. If your favorite form of spreading the Good News is to meet people in their homes, and one day you feel that you cannot knock on another door, it is probably time for a vacation. Go to the mountain, as it is sometimes said, and be alone with the Lord. Then take your family somewhere and have a vacation.

No, I'm not feeling worn out writing the devotional. Most days the devotional that comes to me is not a message directed at myself. Praise the Lord for the privilege of writing each morning. I still write this spontaneously each morning. Not sure why, but I feel that writing a stack of devotionals to get "ahead" in case of a sick day or something is not part of my calling. That may change someday, I do not know. For now, I feel called to do it each morning. That may be a part of my own healing from God and I am glad that each of you is here to share it with me. Let the glory of God rise among us today!

God loves you and so do I!

Bucky

No comments: