Tuesday, June 09, 2020

Way Bigger Sticks

But the LORD sent out a great wind on the sea, and there was a mighty tempest on the sea, so that the ship was about to be broken up.  Jonah 1:4

As the morning of the fourth windy day dawns, it is hard for us in these parts to talk about anything else. It has not gone on so long that we are resigned to it, we are still in that time when the urge to burrow deep into bed and sleep is strong for some of us, while others want to marvel at the destructive power of it with each new day. Sunday morning, I went out early and picked up the little twigs and sticks in my yard; on Monday a stranger would not have known I had done any such thing. On Tuesday morning, I can tell you the sticks got way bigger. Yup, bigger, that is the word I want, whether it exists in Webster's or not. I was the one awakened at zero dark thirty by the fall of them, I get to use the word. 

As calm finally came a bit later, I went back to bed and thanked God. At first it was not for any specific thing, just a gratitude that cannot be explained by myself alone. This morning I can see many specific reasons to be grateful to the Lord, but I do enjoy that knowledge of gratitude that comes even in the dark and windy night. 

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice! (Philippians 4:4)

Bucky

No comments: