Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Prayer Works Because God Is Good

Teach me to do Your will,
For You are my God;
Your Spirit is good.
Lead me in the land of uprightness.  Psalm 143:10

There are those times when we may want to take credit for prayer unto ourselves. "I prayed over it night and day for weeks until the thing finally came." Who gave the strength to persevere in that effort? All around the world this morning prayers to deities are going up and out and around, but many of them are only useful as an exercise. Those prayers are spoken to deities which do not exist. The call is made but no one is on the other side. Our prayers to God may not be answered either, if we take the glory of the Lord and try to steal it. It has been said that prayer works because God is good. You know this because I said it in the title; it's right up there, go ahead and look. Now who gave to me the inspiration to say such a thing? Ah, yes. Now we come to seek the source of our prayer. 

"Teach me to do Your will..." the psalmist wrote so long ago. Indeed we do not know of ourselves how to do the will of God. His word tells us through the stories and prophecies of old, but if I were to take only myself and what I think I know and go into prayer, it would come out with only the usual list of gripes and wishes for what I want. Anyone can do that. A person does not even need a living deity to send up prayers of that nature. However, if one expects an answer to the wishes and strength to endure the gripes, it might help to pray to Someone who is listening, and cares about us, and loves us, and who is good!

And of course to be led to the land of uprightness is to make those prayers count by putting the needs of others on the altar before God, and praying for His good to do them good. Praise God! 

Bucky

No comments: