Friday, June 05, 2020

Get Born Again

Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”  John 3:3

The news, I must admit, has beaten on me rather well as of late, and so I'm doing my best to take a break from it and follow my own advice in doing so. I have been like that little kid who wants to prove his toughness by walking up to the local bully over and over again to receive yet another beating. Nicodemus, had quite a different hope when he went by night to meet with this new teacher, but he received a sort of spiritual whack upside the head.

Nicodemus answered with all the intellectual weight and talent of the world when he asked by way of reply, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter into a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" Just the sort of waggish answer one might give, if he wanted to be a smart sort of intellectual. Also, the sort of confused answer an honest seeker might give, as Nicodemus did, when he thought he knew the way of things but met with an utterly insane answer. It is a bit fun for us to see the discomfiture of Nicodemus from the distance of scripture, but we face the same choice he did: this man is a loony, or he is lying to throw me down, or he is Lord and knows what I have not known apart from him. Nicodemus and all those who have believed in Jesus have chosen to follow our Lord Jesus Christ.

The current crisis continues in a different form, but as for me and my friends we will trust in the Lord Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: