Thursday, June 18, 2020

If God Will

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on, so that I come back to my father’s house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God."  Genesis 28:20-21

Ah, yes, that horse-trading prayer, 'if God will do this and that and this other thing for me, then I will let Him be my God. Jacob was known by this and other stories in his life as a man who did some bargaining, to put it in a nice way. You and I probably know someone who could have taken Jacob's place without a bit of further training or practice. We may have tried a bit of the ol' negotiating ourselves in some prayer not so very long ago. Just don't send me on that dreaded 'mission to the Congo,' Lord, and I'm all yours. We are afraid that the Lord our God will treat us like we have been treated in this world by others. We fear that the Lord will get out His whippin' whip and drive us to where we do not want to go. Which qualities of God do we forget in this fear? 

The Lord's enduring mercy, goodness, and love would seem to be three that come to mind quickly when the fear is set aside for a time and what we know by faith from the word of God returns to mind. A study assignment to that fearful self - look up stories from the Bible showing the goodness, mercy and love of our Lord God in action. 

God's love and goodness to you on this day in Christ,

Bucky

No comments: