Wednesday, September 14, 2016

What We Deserve

Like many Christians I have become very aware of my own sinfulness. If God were to give me right now what I deserve, I'm quite sure that I would not like it one bit. I trust completely in His grace because I have seen through His Spirit that I have nothing to offer even in my own defense. Compare that with the election we face in just a few weeks.

If America prays for the president she deserves, we are all in quite a lot of trouble. On the other hand, Christians could unite in praying for God's mercy and grace, and just maybe we may get the leadership we do not deserve. Do we dare to hope for a leader who will listen to the voice of God and lead us to revival as a nation? Why not? God is the wonderful loving Father who does great things for those who will humble themselves and ask of Him. Ah, there may be the problem.

In this age, we know so much and we are proud of all that knowledge. Humbling ourselves to ask of Him may be the very problem we need to look at on this day. Yes, even Christians can become proud in our knowledge, thinking that we know the answer before we even ask of God. Let us humble ourselves and pray to the Lord. We do not want to be like the false prophets Ezekiel found in the land.

They have envisioned futility and false divination, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD!’ But the LORD has not sent them; yet they hope that the word may be confirmed. Have you not seen a futile vision, and have you not spoken false divination? You say, ‘The LORD says,’ but I have not spoken.” (Eze 13:6-7)

We don't want to speak (or write) words that we hope the Lord will confirm. That is a risky strategy given our fallen birth and the constant war our flesh wages against the Spirit of our rebirth. Let us instead pray first and seek His face, O people called by His name.

In God's grace,
Bucky

No comments: