Thursday, September 01, 2016

Scripted

For a while most folks were fooled into thinking reality television had something to do with real life. They expected an unscripted, perhaps even uncensored and unedited show of what real people do in real situations. They didn't get it. But it did takes us all various lengths of time to realize that the reality was in fact scripted and produced. The first American version of the survival one did it for me. When the contestants voted off the survival expert, I knew right then this was not for real because a real folk like me in a real survival situation would want the one with that sort of knowledge on my team for sure!

We often...no, I'll confess, maybe it's just me, I try to script what will happen in a given situation. The court thing on Tuesday was a case in support of this. A thousand times from the day I received the summons through the spring and summer I tried to script what would happen. Reality is that I never actually set foot in the courtroom, and this is how many cases, contentions, and legal beefs are settled. Actually going to court puts the case in the hands of a judge which can be a risk to both sides, and all lawyers prefer some control over things. While I try to throw up a legal smokescreen over my sin of anxious worry, you can debate the merits of court or settlement.

Yes, anxious worry is the sin that causes me to attempt a scripting of the future. It never works. When the time comes, I fumble my lines or usually find out they don't fit. The responses from the imaginary person do not match what the real person speaks; their reactions are not what anxious worry said they would be. All must lead me and you, my brothers and sisters in Christ, to quit scripting and start trusting. That is our mission for this day: trust in God and let Him hold that future in His mighty hands.

Blessed is His name!
Bucky

No comments: